Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Scrabble followup.....

Exon, kea, quais, pya, qi, za, raj, coz........these are all words I keep on a list in my notes on my Iphone because they are acceptable scrabble words that spell check doesn’t recognize and either do I.  Sometimes I get very aggravated and frustrated with Scrabble...I wonder why I put myself through this self-inflicted agony. It seems as though it's more a contest of playing words no one has ever heard of than using legitimate words.  It takes these crazy words such as are listed above yet not words that are used in our normal vernacular.  I hereby reject it’s rule about not accepting proper nouns....I can understand it not accepting first names (since they can range from common to crazyland) but names of states or countries? Or mountains or rivers? That just annoys me.  Sometimes I can go from game to game and find great words to play except I’m missing one critical letter...or I can’t find any place to play it.  Or I can play a 7 or 8 letter word for 6 points or make one 2-letter words that means nothing (see above) and make 20 points.  I’m pretty sure the object of the game was to make words!! REAL WORDS.  Like people who are always trying to discern what the framers of the constitution had in mind, I am trying to get into the heads of the scrabble game inventors. And I’m pretty sure they meant for me to win......at least once! 

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Kathy! It's those young whippersnappers at FB who developed this Scrabble game, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a real love/hate relationship with this game...I am addicted but these silliness aggravates me to no end. But I play "words with friends" with people who only have Iphones too and it's the same. Except it doesn't calcuate your points before you play and I hate that!

    ReplyDelete