Saturday, October 30, 2010

Electronics are the scourge of my existence!!

I think I've alluded to the fact that we've suffered a catastrophic meltdown of epic proportions with our PC.  Thankfully we had the foresight to buy an external hard drive just for such an event but unfortunately someone, who will remain nameless, but let's just say it wasn't me........didn't actually back anything up for months.  You would be correct in assuming that kind of defies the reason for having a backup.  But I digress...I was finally able to buy the songs I've been wanting last night after using Pay Pal instead of my credit card so I synced my Ipod and just before I left for a walk today I happened to notice things were not as they should be. 

My Itunes library is a work of art.  I began by going through all our CDs and copying all the songs I wanted off them.  Then over the years I have tried to resurrect every meaningful song I can remember.  And there are a lot. It's a very eclectic collection, everything from Color My World to Phantom of the Opera to Roger Whittaker to We Are the Champions of the World to a nice collection of praise and worship songs and lots of country.  I am always on the lookout for more songs, if something strikes my fancy I MUST have it now.  And when I find a new favorite song it gets played over and over and over again.  Which is why I love my Ipod so much.  Remember the days when you'd actually have to get up and go the record player and adjust the needle?  Or rewind the tape to just the right place?  I have gotten songs from all kinds of places, TV shows are a great source.  I'll be watching a show and suddenly everything stops as I madly write down some key words, then I run to the computer and type Lyrics + "key words" to see if the correct songs appears in google. Recently my life got easier when I found an app called SoundHound where I just let my phone listen to a song or say the key words and it will find the name of the song. 

My play lists are artfully and carefully constructed.  I have all my new favorites in one play list so I don't have to search far for them.  My older favorites are in another.  I have a play list for Christmas music, and P&W music and ones for a 30 minute workout and one for a 45 minute workout all carefully chosen for their ability to make me want to move and fast.  (OK, fast is a relative term.)

I have spent a vast amount of time and money on my collection so imagine my horror today to discover my playlists were all outdated....as in they were as they had been before our computer was backed up the last time........months ago.  Thankfully I have 3 Ipods so I was able to reconstruct the proper lists and order was once again restored to my life.

Here are a few "new favorites" for your consideration:  Only Prettier (Miranda Lambert), Real (James Wesley), From a Table Away (Sunny Sweeney), Sit With Me Tonight (Garrison Starr), The Day God Called You Home (Rest For Your Soul), The Breath You Take (George Strait).

1 comment:

  1. Our grandson had his iPod stolen right off his desk at school last week. He was totally devastated. Campus security got involved and they caught the culprit but not before he "jacked" the iPod to pieces and removed all the playlists, etc. He's happy to have it back but I think he feels very violated. I haven't added anything to my iPod since I first got it, because I admit have no idea how to do it. So, I listen to the same playlists over and over. I need to get an external drive as I would feel the same way about my photos if/when I have a crash. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete